Monday, April 19, 2010

The first trip .....



April 3rd - fed up looking at the van not being used and bored with taking it out for some backing practice - decide we will pack it up and get away for a couple of days. Marilyn wants to do some cooking first and has a couple of her past students calling at about 2 o’clock to see the van but we plan to be away by 3. Fat chance!

With one thing and another, it’s 5.30 before we drive out, only to stop after 100m because I forgot the mirrors! We end up at a free parking area at Latrobe just 41 Km away, but it was a great place to make sure we know how to deal with batteries and toilet and awning and so on.

We finished up being at Latrobe for four days. On the first morning, we were called over to look at a platypus looking for his breakfast in a few inches of water in a filthy roadside ditch. Otherwise, it was an uneventful stay. We met Frank and Jan from Geraldton. They have been on the road for 14 months with a 21-foot van pulled by an Iveco utility packed to the rafters. Their dalmatian, Murdoch, travels with them.

I’ve promised myself that I would make time to read the three Stieg Larsen books when I retired and luckily I’ve found electronic copies on the internet. My Bebook has been returned to the manufacturer for repairs but I am using the little netbook in the meantime. It means I can’t sit out in the sun to read but that’s OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment