Thursday, July 14, 2011

Friday, 15th July …..

I know today is Friday because the little box where I keep my pills reminds me; the Thursday pills have gone so today must be Friday. The little box with seven compartments, helpfully marked with the initial letter of each day of the week, was invented for people like me who are never sure what day it is.

When you’re at work, when each day brings specific challenges, it’s not hard to keep track but, when you’re retired, and have stopped getting the daily paper, there’s a sameness about days and it’s hard to tell them apart (and does it really matter?)

All over Australia, seniors like me are taking out their pill-boxes this morning, noting what day it is and congratulating themselves on holding on for another day.

The pill box is not a bad system for identifying the days but it has a flaw: when it is full, I have to scratch my head to work out which compartment to open first. That’s when I turn to my iPhone which is very happy to tell me, on demand that today is Friday, 15th July.

We’re told that prisoners keep track of the passing of their sentence by scratching on the wall of their cell: six vertical scratches and a horizontal one to mark off each week. We seniors keep track of the weeks by taking out our daily pills until out little box is empty and that denotes a week has passed. And Marilyn and I disconsolately say to each other, ‘That’s another week gone. I can’t believe how quickly time is passing.’ And that’s one reason I get behind in posts to my blog. Time is passing so quickly, I can’t keep up.

Our grand-daughter, Madeleine is staying with us at the moment. She is based in Brisbane, of course, but has just come down to Tassie for a few days to enjoy the weather. This morning is well below zero and there’s a heavy frost. However, Madi won’t see it as, like all teenagers, she doesn’t get up until mid-morning, and the sun will have cleared everything by then.

We have a busy day ahead of us. I have to pick up the car which is being serviced and then collect a flat-pack pantry from Bunnings. Jamie and I will then have the challenge of putting it together. Still, after my recent success with the desk and filing cabinet, and a great little metal wardrobe unit, I am looking forward to showing off my skills once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment