Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Wednesday, February 1 .....

After my first poem seemed to be a success, I thought I would try another but this one didn't flow as easily. Perhaps it's because I tried to write it in front of the TV and couldn't focus properly on the words. Anyway, I tossed it aside and only came back to it yesterday. Like the first one, it's pretty rough and I know I need to write a couple of other verses to make it sensible. However, I'd rather start a new one than fiddle around with a second-rate effort, so here it is:


THE CAT’S MISSING

There’s something quite unnatural about families who have cats
It doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense
‘Cause cats are independent and as lovable as rats
And who’s prepared to come to their defence?

Is there even just one reason why cats should rule our lives?
Is there anyone who’ll try to make a case?
For giving love and house room to these selfish feline pests
Who think they’re better than the human race?

But when our cat went missing, I’m afraid I must admit
That I was just as anxious as the rest
I helped to check the cupboards and the other likely spots
Where it might have crossed her mind to make a nest.

We looked in vain for hours to find what had occurred
How could she disappear from off the earth?
I know she’s not too hefty, but she’s bigger than a mouse
So we checked all round the place for all we’re worth.

And then my brother, Sandy, told us all of what he’d heard
Around the caravan at dead of night
Loud creaks and bumps and rattles, and squeals and clangs and moans,
Apparently it gave him quite a fright.

Now we’ve had a happy ending, the cat is safely home
We found her in the most unlikely place
She’d crawled into the storage of the caravan in the yard
And had to spend the night in that small space.

The cat should learn a lesson from her ordeal in the boot
That curiosity’s a troubling trait.
If you can’t resist exploring each int’resting place you find
Just be prepared to meet a nasty fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment