Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wednesday, October 3rd .....

Here’s a horror story for you.  I heard today about the Isopod Parasite (Cymothemoa Exigua) which floats around in the sea, waiting to be drawn into a fish’s gills.  Once inside, it attaches itself to the fish’s tongue and starts to suck on its blood.  Over time, the tongue atrophies and drops off.  Here’s the horror part – the parasite then takes over the function of the tongue which seems not to bother the fish at all.

I wonder if the Isopod Parasite is related to the iPod Parasite, who borrows your iPod and steals all your music.

Jamie arrived back from the Philippines today, full of life and totally in love.  He and Xenia have lots of plans for the future, which is wonderful.  It was a terrific experience for him, living within a different culture and with people who haven’t enjoyed the same experiences as he has.

I find myself reflecting on ‘the old days’ when we struggled – our socks were darned, we looked forward to hand-me-downs, Plum jam was the only type we could afford and there were no luxury holidays.  Dad worked all the overtime he could get to help us all get established.  Of course, we didn’t know we were relatively poor.  Life was wonderful and we didn’t worry about things we didn’t have.  Today, however, I yearn for an iPad.  There’s no earthly reason why I should have one but I want one.  I believe it’s a modern condition called gadget envy.

No comments:

Post a Comment