Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sunday, February 15th ....

I've always felt that this my blog and I'll write what I want to, without fear or favour, but I'm writing this report on the Chudleigh Show with part of my mind focused on a thinly-veiled threat I received, letting me know that it would be better all-round if the report were positive. I know I can be snide and even patronising about some things and clearly one of the organisers of the Show thought he should get in early before I made some cynical comments.

Chudleigh is a little village just outside of Deloraine. It calls itself the Village of Roses and boasts a Honey Farm and some good examples of early-Tasmanian architecture. The first Chudleigh Show was held in 1880, so yesterday's effort was the 125th - not a bad record. In many ways, it hasn't changed much in that 125 years. There was the Grand Parade, the Home Industries Pavilion and the display of ancient tractors, and none of the brash, noisy 'rides' which, in my eyes, spoil modern shows.

The girls in their black jackets and beautiful horses displayed their skills in dressage, the young farm kids proudly led their heifers around for the judges to see, and the Show Society ladies laboured to provide old-fashioned afternoon teas. We spent a lot of time watching the wood-chopping. Tasmania has a great record in this sport and people like David Foster are household names. In fact, there are famous chopping families who hold dozens of world records among them. Sometimes three generations of one family will all be chopping at the one carnival. Names like Gurr, Youd and Speers carry on the tradition from one generation to the next. I've attached a photo of one axemen, called Henry, who picked up four first places. Not a bad day out. The other photo is one of a group who come to all the local events.

It was really a fantastic, nostalgic day out and a credit to this community which manages to maintain a wonderful community event.

(OK, Mike?)




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming along John, it's always nice to have a 'famous blogger' attend the show. You did however miss the fireworks. One very rude lady was giving the farmers hell about how they were looking after their animals. Unfortunately one of the farmers suggested that the bucket of water he was using to feed the sheep may be better utilised to 'cool' her down. This resulted in a hysterical phone call and a visit from the police!! Drew quite a crowd, certainly better than those noisy rides ;-)

    ReplyDelete