Sunday, December 31, 2017

Monday, January 1

It's been a fairly typical year with our Christmas food.  The crayfish was gone by Christmas, the last of the prawns were eaten on Boxing Day and the ham lasted until New Year's Eve.  The Christmas pudding has a long use-by date so we're going to see that for some time to come.  We still have lots of cherries and grapes and enough chocolate to start a shop.  For a welcome change of diet, we went out yesterday for fish and chips on the beach at Devonport.

We're watching a show on TV called APB about an eccentric billionaire who takes over a police precinct in Chicago and re-equips it with high-tech gadgetry.  In last night's episode, I heard a couple of phrases that sounded like Donald Trump (e.g. my speech will be wonderful!) so I googled it to see whether anyone else felt the same.  To my surprise, I found an article criticising this program, and a couple of others, for promoting Donald Trump's agenda.

This is the point: the show says crime is out of control, there is carnage on US streets, and only a billionaire fixer can sort it out, even though he has no background in the area.  The 'solution' is un-nuanced and follows the tough-on-crime mantra without trying to deal with the underlying causes.  The article points out that the show is made by Fox and that network is notoriously supportive of Trump.  
Another of the culprit shows, 24:Legacy, about Islamist terrorism, is also made by Fox.

It's not fair!  I only watch evening TV for entertainment; I don't want my mind manipulated in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment