Thursday, May 28, 2020

Friday, May 29th

It's very frustrating counting down the days until we have to leave this house and we haven't managed to secure a replacement yet.  The few we've found which would be eminently suitable have already been snatched up by searchers a bit faster on their feet.  We have a couple to look at tomorrow morning so we'll keep our fingers crossed.  In the meantime, I continue to sort out the boxes in the shed, taking them to Jamie's storage as I find time.  I haven't chucked out much and have made a resolution to start that process when we are settled in the new house, whenever that might be.

On a lighter note, I've had a new experience this week:  I've been wooed by a small business owner looking to secure my long-term business.  It's been weeks since I had a haircut and my barber-of-choice, the Celtic Barber, seems to be shut every time I drive past.  Marilyn was starting to complain that I was starting to look a bit shabby.  Most men of my age have a shortage of hair but it seems my problem is that I have too much.

Driving through Launceston the other day we saw a sign, Open Now, outside a barber shop. "Stop the car," called Marilyn. I'd never before heard of Spike's Barber shop but any port in a storm. There were no other customers in the shop and the barber, a youngish Asian woman, welcomed me warmly, Within minutes, she had weedled out of me where I usually had my hair cut, and.how much it cost.  She gave me a terrific haircut, trimmed my beard, and charged me $1 less than the Celtic mob.  As I left, she gave me a souvenir pen and encouraged me to come back.

I just might!

No comments:

Post a Comment