Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Monday, November 23, 2020

 I thought I'd get an early start on this week's story and had an idea I'd try a poem.  Unfortunately, it got a bit out of hand and it turned out not to be suitable for that group.  However, here it is.   I'm not sure what the title is all about.


             INVICTUS INTERRUPTUS                                   NOVEMBER, 2020

 

In the fullness of time I shall have my reward

For the difficult road I have travelled

You will see that, at last, my worries have passed

And the knots in my brain have unravelled.

 

It’s no easy task to have chosen this path

But I saw it, at first, as worth doing

I felt that my skills would outweigh the ills

That are part of the life I’m pursuing.

 

It started off fine, all roses and wine

But it didn’t take long to come tumbling.

All the joy that I struck, soon came unstuck

But there’s no point at all in my grumbling.

 

And as years followed year, I saw my hopes disappear

And I watched the demise of my dreaming

My job was a chore, my life was a bore

And some days I just felt like screaming

 

So now every morning I walk through the gate

And I know I will go through the motions

My classes are dull, drive me out of my skull

My despair is as deep as the oceans.

 

My home life’s no better, it lurches along

No highlights to give me some pleasure

There’s no joy in my life, I pity my wife

How long since she called me, “My treasure”?

 

Still, I must look ahead, with no fear or dread

The future’s as bright as I make it

But, when all’s said and done, life is no fun

When you’ve lost all the courage to fake it.

 

And a teacher I’ll stay, ‘till my dying day

Though I’ve lost all the spark and the passion.

I won’t be dismayed by how little I’m paid

And still play my part … in a fashion.


No comments:

Post a Comment