Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday, 5th June …..


We first met Derek around 1970 when he came to work at Chakola. Chakola had been established in 1965 by Warwick and Antonia Deacock who wanted a place where children could be introduced to outdoor activities in a safe and beautiful environment. I first went there in 1966 with a group of students from Coogee Prep. School, and it wasn’t long before Marilyn and I were working there in most of our school holidays. We certainly didn’t do it for the money; a week as Director would earn me $40. Jamie went there as a baby and going to Chakola was an important part of his growing-up.

In 1980, Derek leased the Chakola property from Warwick and Antonia and developed Operation Challenge , offering training activities for adults. His clients included Kelloggs, the Australian Army, NSW Ambulance, many insurance companies, and so on. He provided a mix of adventure-type activities such as ropes courses, and problem-solving, team-building activities. It was an extraordinarily successful business and Derek was able to maintain a high quality program while holding on to the personal touch. This is Pedro's Prison.
Derek turned 75 this year and has decided it is about time to retire. His courses are no longer provided at Chakola; instead he has developed an adjoining property which he calls Sennen.

This weekend he had a group in from Reinforced Earth, an engineering group which builds embankments and the like. They had two days of various team-building activities and their course culminated in a final activity which Derek calls The Cannon Run. The team had to dissemble a ‘cannon’, carry the pieces through a series of obstacles and puzzles and re-assemble it to fire two shots. Marilyn and I watched them carry out the task in just 15 minutes and 3 seconds.

We're not sure how Derek will adapt to retirement. He has been involved in working with people all his life and clearly thrives in group situations. He has built up a business which is valuable but may not function as well without Derek's personal touch. He has sheds full of equipment, several vehicles and, of course, the activities he has built around the property. Many cost tens of thousands of dollars to construct and it will be a tragedy to see them deteriorate from disuse. Derek hopes someone will be keen to take over the business and he will then assist in re-constructing the activities on another site. Let's hope the right buyer is out there.

1 comment:

  1. Hallo

    I dont quite know how I found your post but it was V interesting to read about Op Challenge, Derek and KV. I knew Derek, Irene and Chakola, Gaffa in the 1980's when I managed a Gallery in George Street in The Rocks. Chakola was where my son went every school holidays and there is no doubt that Derek's influence and kindness has contributed to my son's development as a person. He is now a Chief P.O. in Aust Navy (currently Canberra) and is 40 this year and I can hardly believe where the time has gone to. I was astonished to read that Derek has retired and also wonder whether someone has been found to buy the business. I dont wish to intrude on you or make a regular comment but I just HAD to write. my email address is ycak47@gmail.com and my name is Coreene Kennedy and I now live just outside Hobart. Should you remember this post and meet them please pass on my regards. Apologies again for any perceived intrusion, Coreene Kennedy

    ReplyDelete