Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday, 7th June …..

We had some sad news last night when my brother, Sandy, rang to say that the wife of my late cousin died yesterday morning. My cousin, Hugh, died last year and his wife, Anne, has just passed away after fighting cancer for a number of years. She was a few years older than me but continued to work right up until her death. Her funeral will be on Friday, in Sydney.

We’ve been staying with our friend, Robyn, since we arrived here on Sunday. We made a detour from Kangaroo Valley to enjoy a concert in Bowral. It was interesting to see a few people we remembered from our time at Frensham and Gib Gate. Ian Cooper and Christine Tilley were both on the Music staff at Frensham; Ian is blind but headed a department which consistently produced outstanding choirs, and individual singers and musicians. The concert featured the Berrima Singers who are very professional.

We’ve already been in a few times to see Mum and Uncle Archie and today we took them out for lunch. We wheeled them both along Corrimal Street to the Wollongong Golf Club as it’s the most convenient way to get them out, and the most comfortable for them. I don’t know whether I’m getting more fussy but I’m becoming critical of quite expensive meals in restaurants which don’t quite measure up. If I’m paying over $20 for a small steak and a handful of chips, I expect the steak to be edible. Unfortunately, the one I had at the club today was tough and tasteless. Did I complain? No, of course not, and that’s probably why I feel dissatisfied. Maybe I should have sent it back and chosen something else.

Mum and Uncle Archie are as well as can be expected. They seem to spend most of their days asleep. They don’t watch television or read and there is no-one in the home to talk to. Truly, it’s Waiting for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment