Sunday, September 22, 2013

Monday, 23rd ....



It's been a while since I've felt moved to write to the blog. In the past few weeks we've been to the Gold Coast and have been busy in the winery but nothing has occurred to encourage me to put finger to keyboard to record it. In a few hundred years when people are investigating my life, they may look on this period as a time of reflection, even of gloom. I look on it honestly as an episode of laziness.


I don't think I like the Gold Coast much. It's a false place, focused on providing superficial thrills for tourists. The food is expensive and forgettable. The resort staff smile and seem to be friendly but forget you immediately you leave. Is there a real life going on there? Do the locals play tennis, watch the football or join Rotary? Or do they work seven days a week scratching a living from squeezing the tourists? I know that every time I go to the GC, it becomes a little more Asian. You might as well be in Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok - same restaurants, and same cheap souvenir shops.

I avoided TV while I was away and came back to the news of Mr Abbot's cabinet. Back to the sixties, indeed. It beggars belief that any group of 80-odd people could only produce one competent woman In the top 20%. There are only three possibilities: there is something wrong with the females in the group, or there is something wrong with the selection process, or both. Whatever, it doesn't augur well for the future decision-making in our country if having a penis is a criteria for being competent.

Jamie is busy labelling bottles in the winery while I pretend to be involved, occasionally sealing up another box. I was busy at the weekend with a Rotary working bee so today is a day of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment