Friday, November 8, 2013

Friday, November 8th ....

Instead of stories about the Fair, let me tell you about a special fund-raising event at Rotary. It was called Pasta, Plonk and Poetry. I wrote a poem for the occasion but the plaudits went to our Rotary District Governor and his wife who narrated The Ballad of Barry and Freda, first performed by Victoria Wood on her Christmas Show in 2009. Here's a little bit. If you don't know it, you'll find it on YouTube.



Freda and Barry sat one night.
The sky was clear.
The stars were bright.
The wind was soft.
The moon was up.
Freda drained her cocoa cup.
She licked her lips.
She felt sublime.
She switched off Gardeners' Question Time.
Barry cringed in fear and dread
As Freda grabbed his tie, and said:

Let's do it!
Let's do it,
Do it while the mood is right!
I'm feeling
Appealing
I've really got an appetite.
I'm on fire
With desire.
I could handle half the tenors in a male voice choir.
Let's do it!
Let's do it tonight!

But he said:
I can't do it.
I can't do it.
I don't believe in too much sex.
This fashion
For passion
Turns us into nervous wrecks.
No derision!
My decision
I'd rather watch The Spinners on the television.
I can't do it.
I can't do it tonight.

.... And so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment