Friday, July 25, 2014

Saturday, July 26th ....

I woke up this morning full of plans for a busy day but I've lost interest and am watching replays of the Commonwealth Games instead.  I think I enjoy these games more than the Olympics; somehow these seem a little more old-fashioned and amateurish, although my head tells me the athletes are just as professional and self-serving as those in the Olympics.  I like the idea that these are the 'Friendly Games.'  I was keen on Athletics at school and, like many dreamers, I wondered whether hard training would get me a place on the Australian team.  Even then I was sensible enough to realise that my future lay elsewhere.

It's great to watch the athletes but, sometimes, the backstory is just as interesting.  The organisers of the Glasgow games decided there would be an element of design in the decisions made.  My involvement in the Craft Fair has shown me how important  'design' is in achieving good results.  So, the medals were designed by a team from Glasgow School of Arts.  Each is individually produced using a combination of 3D printing (!) and hand finishing.  The medal-winners' podiums are designed and constructed from fallen trees collected from around Glasgow.  I was astounded to read that there are 96 podiums needed for the Games.

The designer of the podiums also made 2-handled drinking vessels, called quaichs, which are given to each medal-winner.  Better than a bunch of flowers!  The dresses worn by the girls at the medal ceremonies are made of silk, printed with a specially-designed Glasgow 2014 tartan, designed by a 15-year old, Aamir Mehmood.  Don't you just love the traditional Scottish names.

The baton, which was carried across all Commonwealth countries carrying the Queen's message, was also a beautiful design, although it posed a bit of a problem when Prince Imran couldn't get it open to read the message.  The Queen probably knew what she had written anyway.





No comments:

Post a Comment