Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sunday, August 3rd ....

I wrote a blog during the week but, somehow, I managed to lose it before it was saved.  Probably a good thing; it was just some nonsensical ramblings about an old Scottish song and the problems  in Gaza.  I'm sure my comments on the Israeli/Palestinian situation are not going to change anything.

Today, I had a bit of luck.  I was browsing eBay and noted a couple of interesting auctions, so I made a couple of bids.  With only 34min to go, I bid $1.04 for an ebook reader.  Unfortunately, there was a knock at the door and I missed the chance to raise the bid and somebody else won it for $1.29!  

However, I also made a bid on a watch.  There was 1 hour 40 minutes to go and my bid was $7.50.  I sweated on it and couldn't believe my luck when mine was the winning bid.  It came with free postage, too.  

In the excitement of the bidding, I also bid on 2 other watches:  a transparent, skeleton steampunk style ($10.13) and a sports LCD ($12.00).   Both auctions finish tomorrow so I'm not too concerned.  I don't really want any more watches;  I can only look at one at a time.

One of the drawbacks of watching the Commonwealth Games is the constant stream of ads.  Channel 10 in Tassie seems to have only local ads and the average production cost is about $100, so they're pretty ordinary.  Animal Tuckerbox is having an advertising blitz at the moment and their ad features a funny voice.  This is a standard Tasmanian strategy, to have a funny, irritating voice-over to catch the attention.  It makes me want to scream.

As I get older, I think I am moving further away from the average Australian.  I can't stand bogan ads, I despair of the values being demonstrated by our politicians and, when the delightful Jacqui Lambie spouts her own brand of wisdom, I want to cringe.  To cap it all, I was astounded when a commentator  on The Drum last week said that Jacqui spoke fluent middle-Australian and her comments on radio about her taste in men had cemented her chances of re-election.

Stop the world, I want to get off!  



No comments:

Post a Comment