Thursday, June 9, 2016

Thursday, June 9

I'm putting out a call for the removal of a word from our dictionary.  Occasionally a word becomes so over-used it needs to be put to death.  The word which is bothering me at the moment is 'disgusted'.  On the surface, it's a perfectly useful word when it refers to something which is loathsome or repugnant or causes nausea.  However, it now seems to be the adjective of choice when you want to describe something which is slightly annoying, mildly irksome or just a bit of a nuisance.

Today, two shop owners were 'disgusted' when their shop was broken into, an awestruck woman was 'disgusted' when Mr Turnbull didn't shake her hand, a would-be bus traveller was 'disgusted' when a bus driver didn't stop to pick her up, ... and so on.

I might say that I'm disgusted with the abuse of that word but, instead, I am irritated, annoyed, angry, frustrated ...  and beside myself with despair at the diminishing of our language.

No comments:

Post a Comment