Monday, September 5, 2016

Sunday, September 4

it was a special day today ... I escaped the hospital for a couple of hours to celebrate Father's Day with 3 generations of Christie women: Marilyn, Madeleine and Macie. I trundled my walker across the road to Aromas and enjoyed a very welcome lunch.

But all good things come to an end and I was soon back in the ward waiting for my carefully calorie- and taste-controlled hospital dinner to arrive. A lot of the dishes have exotic and enticing names but they all have a grey sameness about them. I must say I am impressed with the system they have for serving the food. All the meals are prepared off-site in some vast impersonal kitchen. Individual trays are brought to the hospital about an hour before meal time and put in an elaborate refrigerator. At some point a timers clicks on and half of each tray is heated up while the other half (with dessert and so on) stays cold.

Fifty minutes later a bell rings and the elves roll out the meals to the waiting patients. The system doesn't make the food taste any better but it's a clever use of technology and is probably cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment