Wednesday, March 18, 2020

New Direction

Over the last couple of months there has been a gradual but revolutionary change in the philosophy which drives my technological life: I am no longer an Apple nerd; instead I have gone to the dark side and adopted Android and Microsoft.

It's like changing your religion - it takes much soul-searching, and reflection, gnashing of teeth and cold sweats.  For those so inclined, prayer can be a comfort.

But now the decision has been made, it's as if a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

I've been a fan of Apple computers since they were released in the 1980's.  I got my first iMac in 1999 and my first iPhone in 2000. I bought my first iPad with my Craft Fair honorarium in 2012, and my iPad mini in 2016. We've been happy together, Apple and me, but problems started to appear quite early.

I couldn't afford to replace my original iMac with something similar, but I justified my slight lapse by knowing that I still had the iPhone and two iPads.  That was Stage one of the betrayal.. Then, last year, the iPhone had a seizure and I couldn't bring myself to spend $1000 on a new one.  Instead I bought a shiny new Oppo (Android) phone which does all that I need it to for less than $300.  Stage 2!

That was the thin edge of the wedge.  Earlier this year, Jamie gave me a Samsung Tab X tablet which has satisfactorily filled the niche previously occupied by my iPad mini which has somehow acquired a cracked screen and is held together by gaffer tape. See how quickly you can reach Stage 3.

I knew the end was in sight when Apple callously stopped supporting my venerable iPad 2.  A decision needed to be made: get another over-priced iPad or face the inevitable.

Economics (and common sense) won out and I now have a sparkling new Microsoft Surface tablet with detachable keyboard.  Stage 4!

My heart may be heavy but my wallet is heavier than it would have been if I had stuck with Apple.


No comments:

Post a Comment