Sunday, June 7, 2020

Sunday, June 7th

Some of the COVID restrictions were eased today so we were able to meet up with a couple of friends in town for lunch.  We've lost touch with places to go but found a new little restaurant called Local Hideout.  How brave is it to open a restaurant in the middle of a pandemic but we have to wish them every success for their bravery, and it was great.

Our writing group met again on Friday via Zoom.  It's been a busy week so I didn't write anything new but one of the topics was 'Looking for a Word' so I dug out a little poem I wrote a while ago.


LEARNING JAPANESE

In the wilds of far Tasmania, it’s rare to hear the chatter
Of jolly Japanese jabbering about things that really matter
In this typical selection of the Aussie population
It’s English that we speak, like the rest of this great nation.

If we all could choose a language that we use to tell our story
And we all chose something different, conversation would be gory
To concentrate on English is a sensible decision
It means that all we need to say can be said without revision

But when we go to foreign lands, we’re faced with much confusion
The natives there don’t speak like us – I’ve come to that conclusion
Next time I go to distant climes, I’ll sort that out, by jingo
By learning how the natives speak and speaking in their lingo.

Instead of saying Good Afternoon, I’ll say Konnichi-wa
And sumimasen, kudasai and Mo tabemashita ka?
I’ll cause a stir where’er I go, they’ll stop me in my track
To hear me speak like natives do and slap me on the back.

I’ll order food in restaurants and chat with passers-by
They’ll think I’ve lived here all my life, I’m such a clever guy
I’ll know about the things that happen to people in the street
And talk about the weather with everyone I meet.

The Emperor will serve me tea and laugh at all my jokes
I’m told that all the Royal mob are just like other blokes
They sip their beers and scratch their bums and talk about the footy
And open fetes and wave to crowds and carry out their duty.

But really, when all’s said and done, I’m just a lazy fellow
Who thinks that folk will understand my English if I bellow
If I shout out loud and wave my hands my meaning will be clear
So I’ll leave my learning Japanese on the shelf for another year.




No comments:

Post a Comment