Saturday, July 25, 2020

Sunday, 26th July, 2020

Somewhere I heard that people were looking back to see what were the top music hits being played at the time of their birth, in the hope that they might find an explanation for how their lives had turned out..

I decided this was worth following up; there's nothing much else to do as Covid-19 stalks the land.  Wikipedia helped us out.  Both Marilyn and I were born during the Second World War so I imagined big band tunes would be the go.  In 1943, the year when I was born, White Christmas ruled the airwaves right into January but, by February, when I was born, it had been replaced by 'I Had the Craziest Dream' by Harry James and his Orchestra. I don't think that particular song has made much of an impression and it's a bit of a stretch to see how my life might have been coloured by it.  And yet .....

Marilyn on the other hand, born in 1944, has a different story.  Coming up to the date of her birth, the big hit was 'Don't Fence Me In' by Bing Crosby and, in March it was superseded by 'Rum and Coca Cola' by the Andrews Sisters.  Now, there are a couple of great songs to build a life's philosophy on!

No comments:

Post a Comment