Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Thursday, August 12th

 I’m at a bit of a loose end this morning. Marilyn has gone off to her Book Club meeting at the library and I’m left at home to look after Archie.  Normally, I’m pretty good at filling in time: I always have a book or two on the go, or I’ll work on a story for my Writing Group but, for some reason, I can’t get motivated today. 

Perhaps it’s the let-down after a couple of weeks of intensive concentration on the Census, or perhaps it’s just a bout of boredom.  Whatever the cause, I’m wandering around looking for something to occupy my mind.  I’ve finished my story for tomorrow’s Writing Group: 764 words on The Bookshop.  I’ve written about a little shop in Cambridge called The Haunted Bookshop I visited in 2013.  It was a quirky little place with piles of second-hand children’s books everywhere. 


I’ve decided I won’t turn on the TV.  I can’t tolerate free-to-air with the know-all talking heads and the usual fare of daytime shows is too much to tolerate.  I could watch something I’ve downloaded but I don’t think I have the concentration to get into something meaningful.  Youtube is often worthwhile but you have to wade through so much dross before you find something watchable. 


Over the last few weeks, I’ve planned future trips to Japan and New Zealand, ready for the time that the world is safe for travellers.  Of course, that’s another futile exercise because costs change so rapidly that today’s plans may be unworkable in a few months’ time.  I find no pleasure in planning without considering costs: I prefer to set a budget, $4000 say, and see how much I can achieve with that limitation.  Recently, I mapped out 10 days in Japan: airfares, rail passes, accommodation, within that budget.  Sadly, it depended on return airfares of $686 each which disappeared from the website within a week. 


New Zealand is another example of what might have been possible if we had been able to leave within a month.  $4000 would buy us return airfares to Christchurch, train trips to Picton, ferry to Wellington, train across to Aukland, 8 nights’ accommodation, visits to Hobbiton and wineries, and flights home.  Well, it might have if we were able to fly within the next month. 


Perhaps I need another hobby. 


PS - I've just realised that today is August 12th - the Glorious 12th, opening of the Grouse Shooting season in UK.  some wit called it the sport involving the Unspeakable shooting the Uneatable.  Now, that's a hobby I haven't considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment