Friday, September 3, 2021

Saturday, September 4th

 We’ve had a few days break from the busyness of the Census so took the chance yesterday for some overdue shopping.  They say it’s a good therapy but I’ve usually found that it’s more of a chore than a pleasure.  However, now that our lives are in the slow lane, we take our pleasures where we find them. 

Marilyn wanted some new linen for the bed and we decided to invest in a ‘topper’ for the mattress in the spare room.  The mattress is not particularly old but this topper will give it a new level of comfort: 2000 gsm of duck down should make a difference.  All we need now is a visitor or two to occupy the bed and the possibility of interstate travel seems no closer.  No doubt the politicians are right when they say, “We don’t want your diseases here,” but I thought we were all in this together. 


With time on our hands, we’ve decided to go through our wardrobes and discard anything we’re not wearing.  Old t-shirts and jumpers are easy but I have a very flash dinner suit I bought at Tramps in Wollongong; it’s a Hugo Boss and cost me a small fortune.  I’ve worn it a bit but I weighed 106 Kg when I bought it and hope never to be that weight again. 


What do I do with it?  On reflection I bought it in 1995 so it’s almost an antique.  Op Shop, I think! 

We have Archie with us this weekend.  Nera and Jamie are in Hobart so we’re dog-sitting.  He’s very good company but he wants to sleep in our bed with us, burrowing down under the blankets and generating enough heat to keep me awake.  He’s used to sharing food with humans and fronts up for his portion when I’m having a biscuit for morning tea.  Of course, vets say we shouldn’t give dogs human food but that’s easier said than done.  We console ourselves with the fact that he’ll be going home in a day or two and they can worry about it. 


Talking about the census, we’re on the final leg.  Each of us had about 250 houses in our area, we’ve made sure they all had their booklet delivered and have made two return visits to make sure they’ve been filled out.  After all that, I still have 29 whose form hasn’t been received so I have a third, and final letter to deliver this week.  If that doesn’t stir them into action, they could be fined but that process is left to the heavies in Canberra. 


In five year’s time, would we do it again?  It’s been hard but we made the mistake of taking an area each.  If we are still fit enough when the next census comes around, we might take one area and share it, because we have enjoyed the experience.  But, let’s not plan for the future.  Live for today, the philosophers say and that’s probably good advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment