Monday, August 29, 2011

Tuesday, August 30th ….

I knew I shouldn’t have gone to the doctors. It’s always better to ignore the pain and hope it will go away. But, no, I had to go and spoil it all by admitting that I wasn’t 100%.

The surgeon manipulated my hip a little bit, said Hmmm! and looked wise. Ýou’d better get an x-ray’, he said, ánd then come back.’ Which I did.

Now, I’m up early so I can have my breakfast before 7am because I’m off to hospital this afternoon for a full hip replacement. I’ve read all the bumph about the operation and the possible side-effects, and filled in the Consent Form, and I’m to be the first cab off the rank on his afternoon list today.

How did I get in so quickly, you might ask. People wait for years for a hip replacement. But, then, I had Marilyn with me who never lost sight of the fact that we are booked on a cruise leaving in 6 weeks. And surprisingly, 6 weeks is just the anticipated recovery time of this op. I would have allowed myself to be fobbed off to an operation after the cruise but Marilyn cut right to the chase and asked the surgeon whether he had any available slots this week. Theoretically, he said, I have a cancellation for tomorrow afternoon. We’ll take it, says Marilyn, without hesitation.

So here I am, about to have my shower and due at the hospital by 11am.

I’ll try to keep the blog up-to-date while I’m convalescing but I’m not sure how St Luke’s feels about wireless modems.

No comments:

Post a Comment