Thursday, May 23, 2013

Friday, May 24th .....

My mother passed away this morning. It's a sad time for us, but her last few years have not been good for her and we hope she's now at rest.

She has had an eventful life as so many others of her generation. Living through the Great Depression and World War 2, she was part of the mass migration of Europeans to the new world in the 50s and 60s. She was also part of that generation who believed that a mother's place was in the home so my brother and I enjoyed her undivided attention when we came home from school.

On my trip to Scotland, I visited her home town, saw the house where she lived before her marriage, the place where her school used to be, and the area where she went on holiday. I suppose I feel that I now have a better understanding of her background and the challenge she accepted by moving to a new country.


No comments:

Post a Comment