Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Wednesday, May 8th .....

I'm siting in Melbourne airport after a long flight from Heathrow. I'm feeling surprisingly fresh and I think it has something to do with the fact that the journey is split up into 3 legs with enough time between them to stretch your legs. Royal Brunei is a better-than-average airline and I would be happy to fly with them again.

The trip-of-a-lifetime is over and has been a resounding success. I had in mind that the main objective of going to Scotland was to do some more research on the family tree.  That plan was well and truly swamped by the sheer delight of meeting old friends and family again, and meeting three cousins for the first time.

What were the highlights?  It's unfair to single out two or three because every day was a new revelation but there are a few days which were particularly special: going back to Johnshaven and seeing Gourdon; talking to my Aunt Nettie about my father; the day in Stratford upon Avon, and seeing the colleges of Cambridge.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment