Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Sunday, May 5th .....


We needed a quiet morning.  Frances took an elderly neighbour to church and Brian walked their aged greyhound, Comet, while I made a start on packing my bag for the trip home.  After lunch, Brian took me out to visit the American War Cemetery, a beautiful place with all the solemnity such a place deserves.  

We then drove to Grantchester, a name I recognised but couldn't place.  Brian happened to mention that they've had the clock fixed and the hands are no longer stuck on 10 to 3.  Click!  Rupert Brooke, the WW1 poet came from this town and wrote the famous lines: 

Still stands the church clock at 10 to 3
And is there honey still for tea?

I remember Peter Sellars did a spoof of the verse in the 1950s.  A plummy voice recited the lines and then an English-landlady voice said, 'Honey's orf, dear.'

Sadly Rupert Brooke was killed in France and his name appears on the war memorial in the church grounds alongside other locals who also died.  It's unreasonable to suggest that the death of a poet is more significant than that of a plough- boy but the loss of such a talent has to be a tragedy in more than one way.  Before he went off to "do his bit", Rupert  Brooke lodged at the Old Vicarage which is now occupied by Jeffrey Archer.  I suppose, at a pinch, you could say they both had something to do with literature.

Grantchester is an old-fashioned village with lots of thatched cottages and a Green Man pub.  A local farmer allows people to use one of his fields which gives them access to the river.  On this beautiful Spring day, they were out in droves, many in punts, or on bikes, or hiking energetically along the river bank.  At the first sign of sun, the pommies come out like butterflies, displaying their white limbs to the blessed rays.  I had to wear my sunglasses for the first time this trip but I don't know whether I was dazzled by the sun or the whiteness of the natives.

There was a beer fest at the Green Man but Brian didn't want to stop.  More churches to see! The Grantchester church dates back to the 12th century and they have recorded the names of all the rectors or vicars since that time.  I'm afraid I don't know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment