Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Wednesday, March 2nd

I'm having withdrawal symptoms: for the past three days, the ABC morning show has been hijacked by the interviewing of Cardinal Pell.  I have to say, he's no substitute for Virginia!  What a mind-numbing event.  I feel for the Counsel asking the questions.  How can she maintain any enthusiasm for going to work in the morning if all she can look forward to is asking tedious questions.  The Chairman, too, is having trouble hiding his boredom.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has an ipod under his jacket and he is listening to heavy metal music.

I can't feel any sympathy for Cardinal Pell at all.  He seems to lack all shred of humanity.  He is robotic and his body language oozes resentment.  He is certainly having trouble hiding his resentment and having to subject himself to this questioning.  How dare anyone suggest he may have done something wrong.

When you see stock footage of his doing his Archbishop thing, walking down the aisle with his mitre and crook, his body language, again, is odd.  Instead of being upbeat, he seems bored and reluctant.  I would have thought a person in his position would try to be joyful, to encourage others to feel a welcome part of his church.  Instead he is cold and distant.  Does he see himself as so far above others he doesn't have to relate to them?

One thing I noticed is that he is wearing his Order of Australia medal in full view.  Maybe someone has advised him that this will remind us, subconsciously, that he deserves our respect.

I'm amazed at the number of child abusers who are being winkled out of the woodwork.  In 23 years as Principal, I never had to deal with a teacher in that situation.  One teacher I taught with at Trinity was charged years later at another school, and a teacher who was at Gib Gate before my time got into trouble in Toowoomba.  I dobbed in a parent once after a complaint but that was it.  Maybe I was lucky.  What worries me now is that male teachers are very vulnerable.  If a disgruntled child makes an accusation, the teacher's career is ruined.  There is no assumption of innocence in these cases.  Principals are told to assume the child is telling the truth.  I'm glad I'm out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment