Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Thursday, March 30

Ruby Wax was on ABC this morning talking about Mindfulness. Of course, this is a word I have encountered, but had never attached meaning to. Apparently it is a way of helping us cope with the stresses of modern living. She says we are bombarded with too much information, too much happening and all needing to be processed. To help nerds understand, she says it is like having too many windows open on your computer screen.

The internet explain how it will help.

Mindfulness is about training yourself to pay attention in a specific way. When a person is mindful, they:
Focus on the present moment
Try not to think about anything that went on in the past or that might be coming up in future
Purposefully concentrate on what’s happening around them
Try not to be judgemental about anything they notice, or label things as ‘good’ or ‘bad’.

Clearly, I need this. Points 2 and 4 are significant issues in my mind. At night, my mind takes me back to the past and I re-live experiences good and bad (too often, the bad!). I call it re-playing old tapes and it is totally destructive. And I am chronically judgemental. Nobody is immune from my criticism, whether it's their poor use of grammar, or their politics.

I need help. Maybe mindfulness is the answer. Stay tuned for progress reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment