Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Wednesday, July 19

It was a busy day yesterday; these are quite rare nowadays, so they are treasured. The weather was miserable with heavy rain and cold winds. Our Probus meting started at 10 o'clock, but my first task was to drive to Westbury, about 15 minutes away, to pick up one of our older members. I don't mind that, but he insists on bringing his old dog, which is overweight and arthritic. We have leather seats in the car so the thought of Blaze's claws scrabbling for purchase as it tries to get into the back seat always raises my anxiety level.

Of course, I have a thick plastic sheet but I still have to manhandle the creature to make sure it doesn't shove the sheet aside as it clambers in.

Our guest speaker was one of the local vets and it was extraordinary to see Blaze's reaction when she came into the room. Blaze generally lies comatose on the floor, but she came alive when the vet walked in. Apparently, she hasn't been to that vet for years but the memory lingered on.

After dropping Chas and Blaze home, we had to drive up to Launceston for a couple of things. The weather had become worse, if anything, and there was no joy in the excursion. In the evening was the Rotary meeting, featuring my three-minute talk. There were three of us listed to speak. I complained that my life could not be summed up in three minutes and was told that 20 minutes had been allocated to that part of the program; one-third of 20 is about 7 minutes which certainly sounds better, but there was a problem with the dessert and by the time that was sorted out, our time was reduced to two-and-a-half minutes. Hardly worth the effort.

I ended up simply sharing an anecdote about my first teaching job. When I took the job, I had no qualifications and no experience. I accepted the job on the Sunday and was in the classroom on Monday with thirty little boys hanging on my every word. Still, it seemed to work out and I ended up teaching for 45 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment