Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thursday, June 14th ....

I've just finished watching the first series of Borgen, the Danish political drama which was shown here on SBS. I really enjoyed it even though I find It hard to keep watching the sub-titles. I'm more used to doing a crossword or something while the TV is on but I couldn't afford to lose concentration for an instant.

I was caught unawares in one episode when they started talking English. I kept watching the sub-titles even though the same words were being spoken by the characters. And don't they speak English well! The other thing I noticed was the adoption of English phrases in their daily usage: things like 'spin doctor' and 'fifteen minutes of fame'. No different, I suppose to us saying 'au revoir' or 'karaoke'.

We've now got the second series to look forward to, and I believe there is a third series as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment