Thursday, September 1, 2011

Friday, 2nd September …..

I didn’t sleep well last night; being in bed all day means that I become uncomfortable half-lying and half-sitting and then find it hard to come to terms with the on-the-back posture I’m expected to sleep in. I have a big wedge of foam between my legs to make sure I don’t roll over on to my side during the night.

I got up at 2.30am to go to the bathroom and somehow managed to fall over. It was an extraordinary experience; time seemed to slow down and I was aware of exactly what was happening and where each part of my body would be landing. I was aware I had to protect my hip and my head so I managed to land on my bottom in the corner. I pulled the emergency signal and three robust nurses came and dragged me up.

I expected they would fuss around, tucking me in and getting me a cup of tea but no chance! Once they heard me say I was OK, I made my way back to bed and they wandered off. I suspect they were playing cards and my fall disturbed them.

I notice that MacDonalds is celebrating its 40th anniversary of being in Australia. In 1971, we were living in Randwick and building a house in Campbelltown. Every weekend, we would drive up the site to check the progress and on the way we would stop at the very first MacDonalds restaurant, at Yagoona, for a fix. You could buy a Junior Burger for 20c, I think. Average wages might have been about $150 per week so it’s all relative.

I had another visitor yesterday. Tania from Giant Steps popped in with a bunch of flowers from the staff. They had also made a card for me but that had been left behind. Nice thought, anyway! The card arrived this morning with comments from all the staff – Get well soon, Hope you’re soon back on your feet, and No more curried eggs for me! The last is a quote from Major Bloodnock of the Goon Show. Ah, the things people remember.

I did my physio this morning to an acceptable standard so it’s home tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. You sound like your Mum, falling over. Hope you are OK. Put more water with it!!! Love Janet

    ReplyDelete