Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sunday, January 27th .....

This was a sea-day, when we didn’t go into a port. In fact, there are just 8 ports in the 14 days so we have quite a few days undisturbed. The crew work a bit harder on these days, organizing more activities with more passengers attending. We sat down last night and circled about 10 activities we might try to take part in, in between meals, snacks, cocktails, and so on.

Of course, we slept in so that cut out the first couple of ideas. We managed to catch the end of a Zumba session in the Atrium which featured many ladies of a certain age misbehaving. The Gangnam Style dance was particularly attractive. We had decided to miss breakfast because Marilyn wanted to go to an Opal Event which offered a prize to a lucky passenger (at 11 o’clock) and I went in search of an Asian Soup Station which was to be available from 11.30. I haven’t found it yet, but I did discover they had set up a carvery next to one of the pools. I’ve never seen a bigger lump of beef (it must have come from Texas).

Marilyn didn’t win the opals so we consoled ourselves with a Pub lunch in one of the dining rooms. Before we went, we anticipated what would be on the menu: bangers and mash, fish and chips, ploughman’s lunch, steak and kidney pie. We were spot-on, except we overlooked the bread and butter pudding. It was interesting to hear the Americans ask, what exactly is bangers and mash?

We had an invitation to the Captain’s Cocktail Party for returning passengers; there were so many, it was held in the Princess Theatre. It is really no more than another chance for introducing the Future Sales Consultant and to show a video of their new ship, Royal Princess, to be commissioned in June. Every cruise line is into marketing; Princess is probably no worse than any other.

Before the captain’s do, we had to enroll for the Princess Choir. There are 33 of us and we have 6 rehearsals of songs like Blame it on the Boogie and Blue Bayou before a performance on the last night. There’s no structure, like Sopranos and Tenors; we just stand in a bunch and belt it out.

Tonight was Formal which is great fun. Cynics might say that it is just an excuse to take more photographs to sell to the unwary, but we enjoy getting dressed up. I discovered I had left my cufflinks at home so Marilyn scurried along to the shops to get another pair while I struggled with my dinner shirt. Shock, horror! When I had done up the last button, I noticed some smears of blood on the pristine front. Somehow, I had opened up an old scar and left my mark in the worst possible place. Happily, Marilyn had packed a spare shirt, so a hurried bit of ironing saved the day. Sometimes I wonder how I would cope without a minder.

Dinner tonight was in the Vivaldi Dining room, which we frequented on our last cruise on the Diamond and we felt immediately at home. We’ve booked the same table at the same time for the rest of the cruise.

You’ll notice that I’m not posting photographs. At 79c a minute, it’s too expensive to use the ship’s wi-fi for such frivolities. When we get home, I’ll update each post with appropriate images.

It’s Wellington tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment