Sunday, January 26, 2014

Monday, January 27th ....

I feel vaguely discontented today. You know, sometimes you wake up and you wonder what life is all about. I think I've fallen in to the trap of thinking too much about our next holiday, or getting away in the caravan, and today is just another day of marking time until that happens. I have mowing to do and I'll wash the car but I need to wait for the sun to go down a bit before I tackle those jobs.

Part of my quandary, of course, is that our feet are not firmly on the ground. We're living in someone else's house and know that in a few days time we'll be nomadic again. One part of me relishes that adventure but another part is nagging me to find a place to live and settle down.

Yesterday, I wrote a short blog which I decided not to post. I shared my concerns about the way that Australia is becoming more like America, jingoistic and patriotic to the extreme. Our national pride has become too aggressive for my liking and I shudder when I see the flag being used as a symbol in situations like the Cronulla riots or anti- immigration rallies. The Australia I like is the laconic, laid-back one where nobody thought they had anything to prove.

Now our papers are full of 'smashing the poms' at Cricket, we pick another footballer as Australian of the Year and send a team of over fifty to the Winter Olympics, all,of whom live permanently overseas. Our government will pay a female solicitor from Toorak $75000 when she has a baby, but cut the allowance of a single mum struggling to buy a uniform for her child starting school. Elitism gone mad.

I think I'll just stay home today and sulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment