Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Wednesday, January 8th ....

It's our 48th wedding anniversary today and I find it hard to get my head around that idea. It's inconceivable to me that we have reached this milestone and it is wonderful that we are both well and looking forward to many more years together. I know it's not unusual for marriages to last that long but I wonder whether this is going to continue. Are we the last generation to make long-term commitments? When I read about the marriage failure rate among people today, I despair.

Although our natural instinct is to look to the future, it's hard not to look back at all that has happened in the past (almost) half-century and make some resolutions. In our careers we worked closely with young people and, inevitably, they often took priority over our own needs. Since retirement, we've continued to involve ourselves in helping others: Rotary, community car, baby-sitting, etc, but It's now time to find a bit of room for ourselves. I don't want to sound self-centred, but too often in the past we've neglected each other and we now want to work on strengthening our relationship.

The caravan is a great place to do this. You can't help get closer when you live in a little box only 19 feet long, and when you have to share every moment together. We know that we're suited to this lifestyle and often look back on previous trips with nostalgia. I mentioned before that leaving our flat in Deloraine was a liberating experience; leaving all our accumulated 'stuff' in storage while we drive away with little more than a change of underwear is even more liberating.

Roll on the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment