Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sunday, January 12th ....

Today has lived up to its name in Launceston: the sun is shining and there's a feeling of lethargy in the air. We know we should be stirring ourselves to do something but we've lost enthusiasm for shopping and picnics and the other things we used to indulge in.

I've revisited my family research, trying to put the various branches into a format which is more accessible. In the thrill of the search, I tend to gather peripheral information which really doesn't add to the picture of what influences have made me the person I am. I come from people who worked in the coal mines, and in the great weaving mills of the 19th century, or were fisherman in the North Sea. Although I am proud of my Scottish heritage, there's an awful lot of Irish in my ancestors and I like to think there must be some Viking blood there as well.

I find it interesting to know that a remote descendant of one of my ancestors was went to America and became a Mormon, or another died in a shipwreck near Wollongong, even though they have not been directly involved in my background. It's all part of the big picture of how Scots have made their marks in the broad history of the world.

I have made contact with many other people world-wide who share parts of my ancestry, the most recent being Caroline Whitehall who is descended from George Howie, my grandmother's brother. It's been fascinating to look at her photos and hear her stories of people who shared a childhood with members of my family. Over the next few months I hope we can tease out a bit more of the picture of life in Scotland in the early part of the 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment