Wednesday, December 10, 2014

December 11, 2014

It's over 100 days since I posted my last comment.  Looking back, I note it was a little whinge and I'm not happy going out on a negative note.  Also, I'm within striking distance of 500 posts and, like a cricketer, I'm motivated by the chance to reach a significant score before hanging up my bat.

The real reason I'm taking up my pen, though, is that I'm vain enough to think that my meanderings are of interest to people and, if I can bring a little light into someone's dull life, I'm prepared to accept the challenge. (This is tongue-in-cheek)

Let's start with November 14th.  Marilyn and I flew to Melbourne, ready to join the Dawn Princess for a cruise to New Zealand the following day. We booked in to the Hotel Sophia which is near Southern Cross Station and were pleasantly surprised with the very nice room we received.  Better still, there is a little pub attached to the hotel where we could get Parmy and Chips for $10, with a free beer.  Breakfast the next morning was, again, $10, with eggs, bacon, sausages, and so on.  A great deal!  

The breakfast room was serviced by a little, bent, Greek crone, dressed all in black and silent.  I realise I have bent the PC rules of ageism, sexism and racism in that one description but it can't be helped.

In the evening, we went to see Once.  We jumped on the tram in Bourke Street, had a glass of wine at the Princess Theatre before taking our seats.  When we came into the theatre, the stage was covered with members of the audience enjoying some impromptu jamming by a group of musicians. At 8 o'clock, by some secret signal, the audience returned to their seats and we realised the musicians were the cast of the show.

The show is fantastic and the music is terrific.  It is based on a film, which we've downloaded to watch later.

At the end of the show, it's back on the tram and back to the hotel for a good night's sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment