Thursday, November 17, 2016

Friday, November 18

With time on my hands, I've taken to downloading podcasts which I listen to in the car or when I'm on the computer. My all-time favourite is Richard Fidler but I'm always on the lookout for other options. In the last couple of weeks, I've discovered Desert Island Discs which ran on the BBC for 70 years.

They've had a number of presenters over the years but the most recent is Kirsty Young who has a beautiful, soft Scottish voice. Unlike Richard Fidler, who draws his guests from all levels of society, Kirsty's guests are mostly well-spoken, often toffee-nosed and sometimes quite pleased with themselves. Their music choices are usually severely classical. I suppose the difference in the two programs reflects the difference between the Australian and English societies.

One of Kirsty's guests I heard recently was Armando Iannucci. Despite his name, he was born in Glasgow, and is the creator of a terrific TV series called The Thick of It. It's the modern version of Yes Minister (with a lot more swearing). For political junkies, it's a must.

Poor Marilyn is in hospital. She had a fall and has broken her ankle in two places, also broken a couple of ribs and bones in her hand. I don't know when she'll be home but I hope it is soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment