Sunday, November 20, 2016

Monday, November 21

As if I didn't get enough rubbish on my Facebook page, Nera has enrolled me in a group called Launceston Buy, Swap and Sell. Now I get dozens of posts every day from people trying to sell something. It might be funny if there weren't so many sad stories.

The other day someone was trying to sell a second-hand pair of sneakers for $10 ono. Another one was trying to get rid of two DVDs for $5. I suppose it could be a good way of shifting stolen goods but it's better not to think about that. One strange thing I have noticed: many sellers don't know the difference between bought and brought. Someone might say, " I brought it from Kmart", or , "I only brought it last week." It's not just an occasional lapse; it's the norm.

There was one interesting ad the other day. Someone was offering to collect purchases and deliver them for a small fee. They would also collect from Fantastic Furniture or anywhere else who didn't offer free delivery. As we're changing houses with Jamie and Nera, and had a couple of things to move from Dilston, Marilyn suggested we give them a go.

Two young women turned up in a ute. They were clearly strong and not afraid of hard work, so we asked them to quote on moving Jamie and Nera's QS bed and chest of drawers from Newnham to Dilston, and bring back our QS bed and treadmill. $60, they said. Unbelievable! Obviously, Marilyn gave them a generous tip and we've put their telephone number in a very safe place.

No comments:

Post a Comment