Friday, November 18, 2016

Saturday, November 19

I called in to buy a loaf of bread today: just a plain white bread to make a sandwich. You would think that would be easy but I had to wade through the Soy and Linseed, Wholemeal, Five Grain, Nine Grain, Rye and so on, before I came to the White Section. But almost every loaf was Sourdough! When did Sourdough become Flavour of the Month? I'm told it doesn't have yeast in it; instead it's made with a little bit of yesterday's dough to help it rise.

How can that be a good thing? Starting off with yesterday's dough means you start off with a certain level of staleness, and it's not called sourdough for nothing.

I love Poached Eggs but the norm now is for restaurants to serve them on 'Home-made' Sourdough Bread. Can't they see that beautiful soft, runny yolk does not go with hard-crusted, semi-stale bread? And when I ask for traditional sliced bread, the waitress looks at me as if I am a Philistine?



No comments:

Post a Comment