Thursday, June 8, 2017

Friday, June 9

I'm sitting in the Launceston Library enjoying the sun through the window. Things have come a long way, because I'm surrounded by chatting people and the smell of coffee. No more the tutting librarians demanding silence nor the smell of dusty books. Going to the library is now a social outing and I'm grateful for the change.

I've come up to town with Jamie to have their new car's lights looked at. Nera is at work and the local auto electrician in Deloraine seemed to have no idea. He rambled on about HID lights and problems with ballast and googling a solution. We know the car doesn't have HID lights and we suspect he really didn't want the job, so we've come up to visit the Mazda dealer. His best guess is it's a problem with the switch.

Anyway, I've taken the chance to spend an hour or two at the library and, later, we'll pick up some shopping from Coles. Deloraine has a Woolworths but there are some items that we can only get from the opposition.

i'm reading a review in The Age of the new film, Churchill, which covers the few days leading up to the Normandy landings in WW2. Brian Cox, who plays Churchill, was born in Dundee and I didn't know that Churchill was the Member for Dundee for many years. He wasn't well-liked in Dundee, nor Scotland more generally(I can still hear my mother's voice saying "old war-monger!"). Brian Cox tells the story of Churchill going to a meeting in Dundee when he was ill. Apparently he paid a couple of locals to carry him up the steps. Another fellow asked the labourers how much they had been paid to carry him. "A pound," they said. "Well, I'll pay you 2 pounds if you drop him," was the reply.

The movie hasn't received very good reviews as yet, but I suspect we'll still make an effort to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment