Saturday, June 10, 2017

Sunday June 11 (2)

The acrostics puzzles I am doing are interesting in more than one way.   I enjoy the clues, first of all, because they come from various angles: general knowledge, anagrams, and even cryptic.  Typically, I don't answer them all, so I am forced to look at the grid to see whether there any word patterns which will help me predict another letter or two, which might be enough to suggest the answer to the clue.

When the final quotation is revealed, this is interesting, too.  American Presidents appear frequently, as does Nelson Mandela and Albert Einstein.  The one I've just finished is very apt, on a day when the news is full of the U.K. Election, information that Donald Trump's approval rating is still over 30% and Schapelle Corby has been signed to appear on Celebrity Big Brother.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not yet completely sure about the universe."


No comments:

Post a Comment