Saturday, June 3, 2017

Sunday, June 4

A regular part of my Sunday morning routine is to watch Insiders on ABC. I enjoy hearing the various guests give their point of view, especially as they seem to represent both sides of politics. This morning, of course, the news is full of the idiocy of Donald Trump pulling out of the climate change accord, and the events unfolding in London.

Instead of looking at the big picture, I've been musing on something closer to home. When I was in hospital last year, Marilyn decided my pyjamas needed an update. I've never regarded pyjamas as a fashion item and was generally content with a 3-pack of shorts from Kmart for $10. I'd given up matching tops and bottoms many years ago and, now that our home is warmer, I rarely need a top.

However, what you wear in a hospital is something else entirely so I wasn't surprised to be presented with a couple of pairs of sleeping shorts and appropriate shirts. They were pretty impressive. The shorts are a bit longer than I was used to, in an attractive pseudo-tartan material with a generous cord for adjusting the waist. They also have pockets.

I would have thought pockets in pyjamas were like ashtrays on a motor bike. What on earth would you need to put in them for use while you're asleep? Mobile phone? Car keys? Surely, the best place to leave things overnight is on the bedside cabinet or, if you're worried about burglars, under the pillow.

Then I realised that what I was wearing were lounging pyjamas - the kind of pyjamas you can wear around the house during the day and still retain your modesty. Pyjamas designed for the retired gentleman who wishes to lounge around on balmy Sunday mornings while watching Insiders. Fashionable, at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment