Sunday, November 12, 2017

Monday, November 13

I had to go in to the bank today to pick up a replacement credit card.  It was early so the place was quiet and, when the cashier asked me to wait while she checked out the back, I was just about the only person in the place.  Then my eye fell on three plastic bags full of cash, just lying on the floor.  Clearly someone was planning to feed it through the change-counting machine but had been distracted by something (or someone, maybe me).  I don't suppose there was a fortune in the bags, certainly not enough to risk a spell in gaol, but I hope they are looking after my money better than they are looking after this lot.

It reminds me of a time we were in Nepal and I had to go into a bank in Jomsom, high in the mountains near Dhaulagiri.  They made me leave my hiking stick at the door in case I had mayhem in mind but what really caught me by surprise were the piles of banknotes, literally stacked on the floor.  Nepal has notes for relatively small amounts of money but there were dozens of the piles, spread across the floor and separated from the customers by a simple counter.

I'm sorry for the quality of the picture; my hand must have been shaking.



No comments:

Post a Comment