Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Wednesday, November 15

Years go, if I wanted a haircut, I went to a Barber Shop.  If I wanted something special, I might go to Tony's Barber Shop, hoping for a touch of Continental elegance.  But those days are gone.  Now, the barber shop has to have a clever name, like Chop Shop, or Jack the Clipper.  Some go all macho and call themselves Hair Force One or British Hairways ( do they break copyright?).  Others try to be upmarket, opting for Headonism or Sideburns.  I saw one in Melbourne called Moustachios.  The place I used to visit in Launceston is called Ali's Barber Shop, which is quite clever - the barber's name is Alison, known as Ali.

But, it's women's hairdressers who have really pushed the boat out.  When our friend, Dot, was opening a hairdresser's in Gosford in, I think 1974, we came up with Tresses, Headmasters and Cut Above, but we certainly lacked imagination.  The hairdresser who keeps me looking kempt in Deloraine is called Rock, Paper , ... inviting clever clogs to imagine the final hair-oriented word.  For the less clever, there's an image of a large pair of scissors.

I found there's a Pinterest site on the subject of imaginative salon names.  The simpler ones include Bangs, Tease and Honeycomb, and there's  Do or Dye and Cut and Dried.  I especially like  Shear Madness and Southern Roots.  It seems like the days of Val's Hair Salon are also long gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment