Wednesday, November 20, 2019

November 19(2)

The title of this morning's exams is Information Systems and Digital TechnologyThere are 19 students in two rooms, each individual equipped with a computer and two monitors. I don't understand how the double monitor works but clearly you can have twice as much information on the screen at any one time

Marilyn is on her own, in another small room, with only one student who apparently has difficulty with larger groups

It's 9.20 now and we don't finish until 12:15. Let's hope they are all brilliant and finish early

Being cooped up in a small classroom each day is very isolating.  Normally I'm plugged into the world in various ways – through the TV, my computer, listening to podcasts, chatting with Marilyn or on the phone but here, if I close my eyes and ignore the air conditioning hum and the clicking of the keyboards I could imagine that I'm the last man on earth.  I don't see myself as being particularly social by am lost without access to books and TV

Kim the supervisor asked us  this morning to write down our favourite movies. Without hesitation I wrote down Westside Story because of the memories it evoked.  It was made in 1961 and we must've seen it for the first time soon after that. Since then I've seen it several times and the stage musical as well.

I realise that all the most memorable movies have a great soundtrack - Chariots of Fire, The Mission and, more recently, Rocketman and A Star is Born. The vision is very fleeting but the music last forever

Looking at the favourite movies chosen by other people is enlightening - the Princess Bride? My Dog Spot?  Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment