Sunday, April 26, 2020

Monday, 27 April

Marilyn and I had a rare excursion on Saturday afternoon.  We had a couple of medications to pick up at the chemist and there is always something we need from Coles so thought we would go when the rest of the population would be enjoying a quiet Anzac Day afternoon at home.  How wrong we were.  Both Woolies and Coles carparks were full, there were lines of customers waiting to be admitted and staff were out trying to keep some kind of order.  So much for staying home.

This morning I downloaded the Covidsafe app on our phones.  Normally, I wouldn't bother, preferring to stay under the radar as much as possible.  But, sensible people seem to think it is a community responsibility and we should all play our part.  What clinched it, though, was the fact that Barnaby Joyce was against it.  I've come to accept that Barnaby and I have opposing views on just about everything.  I believe in same-sex marriage, climate change, phasing-out of coal-fired power, sanctity of marriage, honesty in government, and Barnaby doesn't.  So, when Barnaby says that he won't download the app, I'm morally and intellectually obliged to do so.

I saw John Anderson, the one-time National Party leader, as part of a discussion on TV the other night,  He was thoughtful, articulate, intelligent and bi-partisan. I thought of Tim Fischer, another National Party leader in a similar mould, then I thought about the current bunch of no-hopers, Barnaby, Michael McCormack, Bridget McKenzie, not to mention Matt Canavan and Angus Taylor and despair.  Poor fellow my country.

No comments:

Post a Comment