Monday, April 13, 2020

Tuesday, April 14

I didn't note the day when this current lockdown started so I can't be sure what day number we've achieved.  I don't think the car has been driven for at least a week so I suppose I should turn the engine over in case the oil all flows to the bottom of the sump and sits there not doing its job.  Of course, I don't even know if that's a 'thing'.

Your life becomes simplified in involuntary detention.  I still wake at the same time and go to bed about the same time as normal.  We do almost nothing physical each day but still get tired.  I suspect our bodies adapt to the enforced inactivity and work out a more sedentary lifestyle pattern for us.

Marilyn has taken to home baking as a way of filling the time.  We get muffins and banana bread and apple cupcakes, all dependant on what she has in the cupboard and freezer.  The blackberries have finished now but there are still blueberries in the freezer.  Coles keeps us supplied with staples but, as we only order once a week, we often have over-ripe bananas which are wonderful for banana bread.

I'm looking forward to running out of bread at some stage as the plan is that Marilyn will make griddle scones; she has my Mum's recipe but I don't think she has ever used it.  Somehow the recipe calls for currants although I can't remember Mum ever adulterating her scones in such a way.  No matter, there's a big bag of currants in the pantry ready to be used.

Not all things are as they should be.  Standards are slipping a little.  Yesterday I was offered French Toast made with Turkish Bread and, for afternoon tea, my apple cupcake was served with a jam spoon rather that a cake fork.  It's important when times are hard to maintain the proper ways to do things.

We're still managing to avoid putting on the TV while the sun is still shining.  We may watch a Pointless with our lunch but we can still find plenty to occupy us without reverting to the goggle box.  But, who knows what we still stoop to as this crisis persists.

No comments:

Post a Comment