Sunday, April 26, 2020

Sunday, April 26

We found the mower man and he turned up on Friday morning.  We don't have any concrete or even a spot under cover so he works on the grass, if it's not too wet, or the gravel of the driveway.  He's got a little van, stuffed to the gills with, maybe 6 old mowers and bits and pieces he might need.  He's not young and he groans as he gets up and down from working on the mower.

He was here most of the morning, taking the thing apart and putting it back together.  It still didn't work so he decided it needed a new drive belt.  He dragged a bundle of various sizes out from under the seat in the van, chose one which looked roughly the right size and forced it on to the pulleys.  He was still not happy, so jumped in the van, drove into the local agent in Launceston to get the right one.  By this stage, I can't watch him; it's too painful to contemplate what's happening to his knees.

All back together, he takes it for a test run.  There's a strange noise and the mower come to a halt - the new belt has broken!  Craig spits the dummy, throws his stuff in the van and drives off, promising to come back on Monday.

I don't know why we persevere.  The alternative is for the agent to come with his big trailer to take the mower to the fully-equipped modern workshop, fix it with all-new, genuine parts, give it a good wash and return it.  There are only two problems with that scenario:  it can take up to two weeks from my phone call, before I get the mower back, and I'll have to hand over several hundred dollars.  Craig, on the other hand usually come the day after I call, fixes it on-site and charges me a ridiculously small amount.  And I like to support local small business, even if I sometimes tear my hair out.

No comments:

Post a Comment