Monday, January 2, 2023

Tuesday, January 3

I try to avoid the sad and tragic stories in the morning's news but sometimes one slips through and I have to confront the less pleasant side of life in the year 2023.  I skipped over the news of the helicopter crash on the Gold Coast, the war in Ukraine and the appalling story of the airport worker who was 'sucked into an engine' at an airport in Alabama, but I inadvertently clicked on the link to a story about a horse that had died during the running of the Perth Cup on Sunday.

I would have ignored it and gone elsewhere but my eye was caught by the name of the horse: Chili is Hot. Reading on I found that other horses involved were Dom to Shoot and Buster Bash.  What has horse racing come to?  I remember the days of Phar Lap, and Rising Star, Makybe Diva and Black Caviar.  Those were names to admire.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the racing industry is struggling in Australia.  If that is, in fact, the case, I would suggest they look no further than the stupid names they give to horses.  How could anyone take seriously an industry that calls a horse Dom to Shoot?

No comments:

Post a Comment