Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Wednesday, January 5

When I came back from the gym this morning, Marilyn was up and the bed had been stripped.  I felt a sudden shudder of disquiet and waiting for the fateful words: 'It's a nice day so I thought I'd change the sheets'.  I knew that I would soon be faced with the task of re-making the bed with fresh sheets and I had already designated this as my least favourite activity.

I've always had a 'bad back' and, as I get older, I find that the business of bending over to tuck in the corners of the sheets is very uncomfortable.  We've bought a couple of 'mattress lifters' which I push underneath the mattress to make the job easier but there's still a lot of bending to be done to make sure that the corners are neat enough for Marilyn's inspection.

The sheets I was issued this morning are a pair we bought recently: 'Egyptian cotton, luxury feel, generous proportions.'  They are good but the generous proportions mean that they are a couple of feet longer than the cheaper ones, but no wider.  This means I have extra to tuck in at the bottom but only the usual few inches at the sides.  Maybe we have a thicker mattress than usual but it irritates me that I can't get the sheets as neat as I would like.  If only that extra material had been put on the width rather than the length.

We're waiting for the man from Coles to arrive with outr order and then there's a bit more gardening to be done to put the place in order before the first of our visitors arrive.  Marilyn's sister, Anne, will be here from the 12th or 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment