Monday, October 24, 2011

Friday, 21st October …..

Jamie rang early to see how we were getting on and reminded me that it was my brother’s birthday so I rang him immediately. By the background noise, he was at the gym. I said my congratulations and let him get back to whatever he was doing.

Our plans for today were to visit my mum and uncle at the nursing home and then catch a bus from Wollongong Station which would take us to Moss Vale to catch the Canberra train. Mum was still asleep so we went down the corridor to see Uncle Archie who was still in his pyjamas and dozing, as he usually is when we visit. He was pleased to see us; it’s been about 4 months since I was able to get to Wollongong. Marilyn has seen him several times over the last couple of weeks but I know he looks forward to my visits. He seems pretty well but doesn’t get out of bed much.

Marilyn went back to see Mum and found her waking up. She was delighted to see Marilyn, who came back to find me. Sadly, by the time I got there, she was no longer alert and didn’t recognize me. We’ll try again when we get back from Canberra.

The bus and train trip was very pleasant. The seats are comfortable and there’s a buffet car which even serves full meals. Dianne was waiting for us in Canberra and it was great to see her. We’ve exchanged emails since we said goodbye in Nepal and it was very easy to pick up our friendship where we left off. That evening we were invited to dinner at Rhonda’s. Her husband, John, made a goat korma curry and another curry with kangaroo; very exotic but delicious. Other Nepal travelers, Sue and Martin brought dessert so we had a wonderful meal. Beth and Trish were also there and we only need Steve and Ann to round-out our party.

I suppose I’m bemused by the strength of the connection we made on those few days in Nepal. We all got on very well and, when a reunion was suggested, there was general enthusiasm for the idea. From my point of view, I was very much looking forward to seeing everyone. I don’t know of any other group of travelers who meet again as a group after their trip is over. I’m sure we’re not unique but I suspect we’re unusual.

No comments:

Post a Comment